Thursday 24 June 2010

Social branding

 

  One of the things I want to talk briefly about on tomorrow’s Employer Branding webcast is my idea of ‘social branding’.

I still need to do more thinking around this before tomorrow, but I’m going to suggest that as well as an EVP and employer brand, companies need to think about their ‘Social Value Proposition’ (SVP) and ‘social brand’.

Why?  Because more and more of what we do at work is about our relationships with other people.  It’s why I’ve included ‘people’ as a major element in my EVP model for so long, and why I’ve argued that people and relationships need to be a major focus of engagement surveys.

But it’s more than this.  It’s not just about how organisations treat their people.  It’s how people treat each other.  What’s our offer to our colleagues and others we work with?

And this is different to an EVP because it’s not about what’s done to us, it’s about what we do with each other.

And I suspect it’s going to be an increasingly important enabler for engagement as well as collaboration and productivity.

 

Of course, I realise this is probably just going to result in increased confusion.  Those who have come across social branding before will link it to either and ethical focus or the simple use of social media.  But hey, there’s nothing I can do about that.

 

What do you think?  Any ideas for the factors that should be included in a SVP?

Or is this idea just nuts (it’s probably not too late to take out the slide!).

 

 

 

  • Consulting - Research - Speaking  - Training -  Writing
  • Strategy  -  Talent  -  Engagement  -  Change and OD
  • Contact  me to  create more  value for  your business
  • jon  [dot] ingham [at] strategic [dash] hcm [dot] com

    .

  • 2 comments:

    1. Jon, I think the wrok of Valdis Krebs is useful here http://www.orgnet.com/. Valdis looks at the'white space' on org charts ie what goes on between different people and departments. For example, you could take a look at who really has influence in a department or organisation. It might surprise those at the top of the org. I think your SVP concept is incredibly important.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Jon,

      I guess my quesion here would be if you assume that SVP is important (which I think it is) then as an employer all you can do is create the environment that facilitates good social values. And if that is the case, then how does that differ from activities to support your EVP or employee engagement?

      Up next......a new model for measuring SVP?

      ReplyDelete

    Please add your comment here (email me your comments if you have trouble and I will put them up for you)